Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bartering making a comeback..

There's an article on the NYTimes.com site about how bartering is making a comeback (the article goes in depth about the system in Russia: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/world/europe/08barter.html?_r=1&hp)

However, I too, have noticed small ways in which I've been doing some "small-scale" bartering, particularly now that I have a small business. Before, I never really had much to barter--Sure I had a solid education, video/interviewing/people skills, but no one ever seemed to care!

I actually bartered yesterday. My friend Monica modelled a few products for my website, http://www.itsybitsybrabar.com/. Being a small business owner, will an almost non-existet budget, I didn't really have an monetary compensation for her...SO, instead I gave her some undies!! (She adamantly refused to even take it, until I, in turn, adamantly INSISTED that she take the darn things!!)

Also, my best friend Alisia, works in marketing. She's my pro-bono marketing genius. She's got talent, so I use it...and because she's like family, she'll glady do it without even thinking about wanting something in return..(with Alisia, being fed, entertained by my charming personality, and me calling her a taxi is enough compensation...or so I tell myself.)

Anyway, the point of this long-winded blabbering is that for anyone looking to do, or buy anything, this "bartering" thing may offer you a few alternative solutions that you didn't have before. If you are a makeup artist, do makeup for someone and get some exposure in return, etc. There are so many creative, out-of-the-box ideas that people are willing to try in these times. So even if you don't have tons of money, how can you get something by giving something?

If anyone has any cool bartering stories...would love to hear!

V.
http://www.itsybitsybrabar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment